Arts & Sciences Council
Committee on Faculty Research
The Committee on Faculty Research has two responsibilities:
a) It shall administer funds made available to the Committee each year by the Dean of Arts and Sciences and the Committee will allocate these funds by awarding grants for research, for conferences hosted by Duke University, and for conference travel expenses incurred by members of the faculty of Arts & Sciences, and
b) it shall address larger issues of research that are important for Arts and Sciences faculty.
Two faculty from each division (Natural Sciences, Social Sciences, Humanities) plus a faculty Chair (at large).
Overview of Programs
(More details provided on each application form)
|Programs||Brief Overview||Eligibility||Due Dates||Forms||Review Procedure|
- Limited number available
- Priority will be given to faculty who did not receive a grant during the previous year.
- Maximum $5,000 per grants
- All faculty in departments or programs in Arts and Sciences are eligible to apply, whether regular rank or non-regular rank.
- Emeritus faculty and post-docs are not eligible for this funding.
5 pm deadline
Awards will be announced in late April.
1) Rated by subcommittee in division.
2) Then reviewed by the full committee.
- To present at conferences
- Not session chairing
- No more than two per fiscal year (7/1-6/30)
- Total no more than $1,000 per fiscal year
- No distinction between foreign & domestic travel
- All faculty in departments or programs in Arts and Sciences are eligible to apply, whether regular rank or non-regular rank or Emeritus.
- NOTE: Faculty with a research fund and/or start-up account are not eligible.
|Please apply at least one week before conference date.||
Download form, complete and "save as" before returning.
1) Reviewed by Council staff
2) Then reviewed by Committee chair
2015-2016 Faculty Research Funding
In FY15-16 the Arts & Sciences Committee on Faculty Research (ASCFR) will be funding BOTH travel support AND a competitive internal research grant program. This site will be updated as more details of the research grant competition become available. Some money will also be made available to support conferences hosted by Duke University.
There are restrictions on requests for travel support and internal research grants. With respect to travel support, if a faculty member has a research or startup account s/he should use that account for scholarly/research travel. Regular-rank, non-regular rank and Emeritius faculty (but not postdocs) are eligible to receive travel funding. Trips are limited to no more than two per fiscal year (July 1- June 30), with funding totaling not more than $1,000 for the combined trips. There is no financial distinction between foreign or domestic travel; awards are limited to $1,000. Also, travel to an event where the faculty member is only chairing a session will not be funded. Please see page two of the meeting/travel support form for more details.
Regular-rank and non-regular rank a faculty are eligible to apply for internal research grants. However, Emeritus faculty and post-docs are NOT eligible to apply for these grants.
For additional information contact:
- Committee Chair, Richard Kay email@example.com 919-684-2143
- Committee Staff, Angela Latta firstname.lastname@example.org 919-668-2728
- Research Grants 2015-16
- Research Grants 2014-15
- Research Grants 2013-14
- Research Grants 2012-2013
- Research Grants 2011-2012
- Research Grants 2008-2009