Office of the Dean
Briefing: Call for Applications - Teaching for Equity Fellows Program
May 16, 2017
Teaching for Equity Fellows Program
2017-2018 Arts & Sciences Cohort
Invitation to Participate – Open to All Arts & Sciences Faculty
Application Deadline – May 19, 2017
Please look for application here: https://goo.gl/forms/7z6DDeUOnzkn6mZq2
Equitable classrooms in which all students have the greatest learning potential is an important goal at Trinity College. This fellowship provides tools, support and knowledge to faculty with this aim in mind.
Teaching for Equity Fellows (TFEF) is a professional development opportunity, an academic year-long series of workshops that provide tools for addressing issues around identity, race and racism in our classrooms. We are convening a cohort of up to 20 faculty from Trinity College for the 2017-2018 academic year.
Developed by the Duke Human Rights Center in the Franklin Humanities Institute through support from the Dean of Trinity College and the Provost, these workshops directly address issues raised by students—from all backgrounds—who report feeling at times isolated and marginalized in class. Over the course of the year, faculty fellows will become attuned to implicit assumptions about values, standards, and cultural norms attached to racial and other identities. And they will gain specific skills and strategies to create a classroom culture that benefits all our students.
This program is valuable because it:
- Improves teaching for all students in our classrooms;
- Provides faculty with new knowledge about classroom dynamics and culture;
- Provides faculty with pedagogical tools to advance more equitable classroom experiences;
- Builds a learning community among faculty and promotes cross department and cross-school collaborations;
- Establishes Duke University as a pace-setter in preparing and supporting faculty in the context of creating a welcoming campus culture;
- Promotes greater confidence among faculty to address issues of race and identity with their students; and
- Enhances student experience in the classroom, which leads to better outcomes in and outside the classroom.
Dates and Times for the 2017-2018 Arts & Sciences Cohort
- Introducing the Framework – August 14-16, 2017 – 9 a.m. – 4 p.m. on the 14th and 15th, 9 a.m. – 12 noon on the 16th
- Monthly Sessions – Fridays from 9:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m. – September 22, October 27, November 17, 2017 & January 26, February 23, March 24, April 25, 2018