Finance & Administration
Non-Regular Rank Union Faculty Evaluation & Exit Interview ProcessLast updated: March 6, 2018
This policy covers the requirements for non-regular rank union faculty evaluations and exit interviews, as stipulated by the Collective Bargaining Agreement, Article 13: Evaluations.
The department chair or designee must evaluate non-regular-rank union faculty on multi-year contracts at intervals specified by Collective Bargaining Agreement, Article 13 Evaluations. The Office of Finance & Administration will track union faculty contracts and notify department chairs and business managers when evaluations must be conducted. See Union Faculty Evaluation Schedule below. Department chairs are responsible for submitting a rating of either Satisfactory or Unsatisfactory to the Office of Finance & Administration no later than March 31st. Exit interviews must be conducted upon request for union faculty members hired for one (1) year or less.
Chairs should become familiar with the flowcharts detailing the appointment/reappointment and evaluation of union faculty. The appointment/reappointment policy drives the evaluation process detailed below.
Evaluations for multi-year contract union faculty
Multi-year contract union faculty will be evaluated in the penultimate year of multi-year contracts. There are four parts to a union faculty evaluation:
- A self-assessment completed by the union faculty member;
- Student evaluations and feedback from all courses taught within the contract period since any previous evaluation;
- A classroom teaching observation and report.
- An in-person discussion with the department chair or designee.
Evaluation and exit interviews for union faculty on contract of one (1) year or less
If requested by a union faculty member hired for one (1) year or less, exit interviews must be conducted and address the following:
- Discussion of faculty members experiences teaching course(s) at Duke;
- Feedback on course(s) based on:
- Student evaluations.
|Mid January||A list of union faculty members who need reviews will be provided to the department chair by the Office of Finance & Administration after the first day of classes in the spring semester.|
Union faculty members asked to prepare a self-assessment by department chair or designee.
Prior to March 15
Chair or faculty designee will conduct classroom teaching observations prior to completing the ratings. See Classroom Teaching Observation Process.
Union faculty self-assessment deadline.
Chair schedules in-person meeting with each union faculty member. Note: If chair is planning to provide an unsatisfactory rating, notify Sandy Connolly, Vice Dean for Finance & Administration.
Chair submits ratings to Office of Finance & Administration.
- Office of Finance & Administration will identify union faculty members who must be evaluated in the spring semester, and notify appropriate department chairs and business managers.
Part 1: Self-Assessment Process
- Department chair or designee should notify the union faculty member by February 1st that an evaluation will be conducted, and request self-assessment documents.
- DOWNLOAD: Draft faculty instruction letter (Word)
- Union faculty member being evaluated will submit self-assessment documents through the Union Faculty Self-Assessment Portal no later than March 1. Required documents include:
- A completed self-assessment form (no more than 3 pages), downloaded from the Union Faculty Self-Assessment Portal
- Syllabi for each course taught since the last appointment or evaluation
- An up-to-date curriculum vitae
Part 2: Classroom Teaching Observation Process
- Department chair or designee will charge a regular rank faculty member with responsibility to conduct a classroom teaching evaluation by March 15 and notify the union faculty member of this assignment.
- DOWNLOAD: Instruction Letter for Classroom Teaching Evaluator (Word)
- Classroom teaching evaluator will follow the Procedure for Classroom Teaching Observations to:
- Coordinate with the union faculty member to conduct a classroom teaching evaluation,
- Discuss the evaluation with the union faculty member in person, and
- Submit a written evaluation report that includes union faculty member comments to the department chair/designee by March 15.
Part 3: Course Evaluation Oversight & Process
- Department chair or designee will review student course evaluations and feedback in the normal course of business and meet with the union faculty member if there are reasons for concern.
Note: Under no circumstance shall student evaluations be the sole criteria for adverse action against a bargaining unit faculty member.
- For the purposes of a full evaluation, the department chair or designee will gather student evaluations for all courses taught within the contract period since the previous evaluation (if one was conducted).
Part 4: In-Person Evaluation Meeting
- Department chair will schedule an in-person evaluation meeting with the union faculty member. During this meeting, the self-assessment documents, student course evaluations and the classroom teaching observation report will be discussed. Chairs can access all union faculty documents through the Chairs' Portal for Union Faculty Self Assessment.
- At the conclusion of the in-person evaluation meeting, the department chair or designee will record an overall evaluation as either Satisfactory or Unsatisfactory through the online Union Faculty Evaluation Form, and provide a short, written summary statement. The deadline for reporting faculty ratings is no later than March 31st.
Note: The written summary statement should be a high-level summary of the individual’s performance as a teaching faculty member. Context and specificity are most helpful. For example, if the individual’s instruction is satisfactory, but could be improved in certain areas, please explain. If the instructor’s performance is unsatisfactory, describe the issues/behaviors that warranted the unsatisfactory rating. Please contact Sandy Connolly, Office of Finance & Administration with any questions.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Can teaching observations and evaluations that have already been completed in Fall semester 2017, be used for the Spring 2018 evaluation process? Yes, observations and evaluations from Fall 2017 can be used for the Spring 2018 evaluation process.
- Can comments be added to the Satisfactory performance evaluation? Yes, comments can be added to a Satisfactory evaluation if needed. However, comments are required for an Unsatisfactory evaluation.
- If multi-year contracts are ending and will not be renewed but the faculty member is on the list for an evaluation, does the evaluation still need to be completed? Yes
- If a faculty member has a primary appointment in one department, but also teaches for another department, do both departments need to give an evaluation or just the primary department? It is preferable to have both departments complete the evaluation process. However, the primary department is required to do an evaluation.
- If the faculty member to be evaluated is teaching out of state e.g. Duke in NY, how should the evaluation be conducted if there is no Regular Rank faculty member at the site to perform the teaching observation. Can this wait until the fall? Yes, the evaluation can be deferred until the fall.
- If a faculty member has a one year appointment that is ending but will be offered another one year appointment the following academic year, should they be reviewed before the current appointment ends? Yes