Finance & Administration
Filling Open Staff PositionLast updated: March 28, 2016
All regular, leveled staff positions follow the same procedures for filling an open position. After approval is received to open an exempt staff or non-exempt staff position and the open requisition process has been followed, conduct your recruitment process through Candidate Selection.
When a candidate has been selected for an offer the steps below must be followed before an offer can be made to the candidate:
- Review the funding source budget. Possible funding sources include:
- Departmental annual budget (15xxxxx)
- Sponsored Project funds (3xxxxxx)
- Other restricted funds (391xxxx)
- Unrestricted funds (451xxxx)
- Agency funds (850xxxx)
- Determine a proposed salary or rate of pay based on:
- internal equity
- candidate's skill proficiency, years of related experience, and educational background
- Submit an email to TCA&S Human Resource Manager, Susan Davis, with the proposed salary or rate, thorough justification of the offer, and copy of the candidate's resume for review and approval. This process should be followed for internal or external candidates.
- Once an approved salary or rate of pay is received you may proceed with the offer to the candidate.
Follow the next step-by-step processes to complete the hire so the candidate can join your team.
1. Candidate accepts the offer
- Track candidate to hired and all other applicants as appropriate in Candidate Selection; close requisition.
- Draft offer/appointment letter to candidate for signature of acceptance. Be sure to include information regarding contingencies for continued employment such as sufficient funding from sponsored project or other funds or a term appointment with an end date. The offer letter should be reviewed by Susan Davis prior to sending it to the candidate.
- Complete the hire in iForms with Hire or Transfer iForm from Position Tab.
- If hiring an external candidate complete the Hire iForm and work with candidate to complete the following forms and hand-deliver the completed documents to HRIC within 3 days of hire.
- Deliver the completed Direct Deposit Authorization Form to Corporate Payroll Services.
- Schedule New Employee Orientation session.
- If filling the position with an Duke internal candidate complete the Transfer iForm. No additional hiring documents are needed for a transfer; however, if the candidate is moving from a non-exempt position to an exempt position encourage him/her to contact Benefits Office to discuss and sign up for new benefit options.
2. Candidate does not accept the offer
- Track candidate as appropriate in Candidate Selection
- Contact Recruiter to request additional applicants or further discuss requirements and preferences.
- Continue to review applicants until suitable candidate is selected.
- Continue to follow above procedures for making an offer and completing the hire.
Related Articles: Opening a vacant staff position