Reserve A&S Space - Non-Credit Use - Fall/Spring SemestersLast updated: February 7, 2019
This policy covers the process for reserving classroom or teaching laboratory space not needed for Trinity College undergraduate and graduate programs during the fall and spring semesters. These spaces may be reserved, subject to approval, when not in use for undergraduate or graduate academic classes.
Rental fees will not be charged unless the space will be used for revenue generating activities. In addition, Trinity College of Arts & Sciences may charge fees for afterhours cleaning or damages in accordance with our policy.
Some space, such as teaching labs, may not be used without a Duke sponsor and may require training and/or safety certifications prior to use. Teaching Labs use must be approved by the assigned Lab Manager from the assigned department. TCA&S Facilities must have an email or be contacted by the lab manager before we move forward with any use of a teaching lab by a non-Duke group or for non-academic use. There may also be additional teaching lab regulations that must be met prior to TCA&S Facilities approval for use.
Reservation requests will not be processed until all academic classes have been assigned. Reservations are processed 30 days prior to the start of the fall and spring semesters and after March 1st for summer session.
Request a Space Reservation
- Request a particular classroom or teaching lab space using the 25Live program.
- Using your Duke Net ID, login into 25Live; select the Event Wizard, and follow the prompts.
- Remember to include set-up and cleanup time in your request. Be aware that you may be assessed an after-hours cleaning fee if your use of the space prevents the normally scheduled cleaning service.
- Requests for space to facilitate review sessions and study groups must have the Course name and number in the Event Title field. You must also include the instructor’s name and email address in the Comment field section.
- You will receive a confirmation (Confirmed or Denied) via email within five business days for all TCA&S spaces except all LINK spaces, which are processed within three business days of the event request. (Note, reservations will not be processed until all academic classroom assignments are completed.) The TCA&S Office of Facilities may contact you for additional information regarding your reservation request.
- For audiovisual support: Plan to schedule media 48 hours in advance of your event by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org, or call 919-660-3088. Requesters are responsible for arranging AV support with Trinity Technology Services.
- Arrange for after-hours building access: If your event will occur after regular building hours and the majority of your attendees do not have a Duke ID, you will need to arrange for building exterior door access. Plan to schedule access at least 3 business days prior to the start of the event by emailing Robin Harris at email@example.com.
- For non-routine housekeeping services please call 919-382-4515 48 hours prior to your event.
Reservation Changes and Cancellations
- Changes to a confirmed event may require the event be cancel by the TCA&S Office of Facilities Scheduler and the event resubmitted by the requestor with correct information.
- Reservation questions should be directed to the Trinity College Scheduler at 919-660-3037 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Questions related to an academic class are to be directed to the Office of the University Registrar by calling 919-681-5831 or email email@example.com.
Health and Safety
- Room capacity may not exceed seating capacity as posted by A&S Facilities.
- No smoking or use of tobacco products is permitted.
- Animals, with the exception of service animals, are not permitted in classrooms.
- To ensure student safety and prevent theft of classroom equipment and furniture, classroom doors may not be propped open.
- Program Managers reserving space must ensure that all staff comply with laboratory access requirements. See Duke's Occupational and Environmental Safety Office requirements.
Food and Drink
- No Food allowed in any TCA&S classrooms, Monday - Friday between 8:00 and 6:00 pm and No Food or Drink allowed in any TCA&S auditoriums 24/7.
- Trash without food must be bagged and left in hall outside classroom or common area. For trash containing food, arrangements for removal must be made with University Housekeeping (919-382-4515).
- Alcohol use at Duke and in the classroom must strictly follow the University Alcohol Policy (http://studentaffairs.duke.edu/conduct/z-policies/alcohol-policy).
- No sales or solicitations are permitted.
- No admission fees can be charged for meetings or events within a classroom (with the once/year exception for approved student groups without financial support from DSG for annual fund-raising).
Working with Minors
- Duke has adopted a Policy for Minors in Duke University Programs that establishes safeguards for children under the age of 18 who participate in Duke activities and programs on university land and in facilities or under the authority and direction of the university at other locations.
Restrictions for Use
- Furniture in the classroom must be returned to its proper arrangement by the event organizers. (This data is found in a plastic sleeve inside the classroom near the entrance door.)
- After 5:00 pm, the person who reserved the room is responsible for securing it by turning off lights and equipment, as well as for closing all windows and doors.
- Classrooms are offline from 3:30 am- 8:00 am for cleaning.
- Smith Building Bay 6 classrooms, Allen Building and LSRC A247 are not available for reservation or for use that ends after 7:30 pm; and no weekend use.
- Students may not reserve Interactive Computer Classroom (ICC) facilities.
- Classrooms and commons areas cannot be scheduled during reading and exam times.
- Buildings may not be available at certain dates or times based on sustainability measures or for maintenance upgrades.
Disclaimer & Liability
Duke Police, the University Registrar Office, and TCA&S Facilities Office reserve the right to move an event, to cancel an event that disrupts the educational, research, or administrative functions of Duke University, or for emergency maintenance related situations.
TCA&S is responsible for the quality of its classroom facilities and reserve the right to deny request privileges, based upon prior usage.
TCA&S spaces are used at the sponsors’ own risk. Users will be held responsible for the condition of the room and all furniture and equipment within. TCA&S is not responsible for damage or loss of personal effects or personal equipment, nor injury to users or participants.
- Reserve A&S Space - Non-Credit Use - Fall/Spring Semesters
- Reserve A&S Space - Non-Credit Use - Summer Sessions
- Reserve A&S Common Space, Teaching Labs & Specialized Spaces