Faculty Affairs

New Faculty Guide

Welcome to Duke's Trinity College of Arts & Sciences. The first few days and weeks at a new university can be a logistical challenge. In an effort to assist your integration into Duke and the college, we are providing you with a list of helpful tips and frequently asked questions. Although this list is not exhaustive, we hope it will make it easier for you to get started here. You will also be invited to attend a new faculty orientation where you will have an opportunity to ask questions and receive additional information.

Some of the information presented below relates only to regular rank faculty conducting research.

Getting Started

Your department Chair and Department Business Manager will both be instrumental in helping you get established at Duke.

You may also want to review the college's organization charts to better understand how we are structured. View Org Charts: http://admin.trinity.duke.edu/org-charts.

Establish Duke NetID

Your NetID will be automatically established during the hiring process. Please work with your department business manager or HR rep to get your NetID. This ID is used for global log-in purposes for Duke protected sites. Read more about NetIDs: http://it.duke.edu/get-connected/netid-and-password.

Schedule appointment with IT Team to Establish E-mail Account

Your Duke e-mail account is run on Microsoft’s Office 365 platform. Please work with your department business manager or HR rep to ensure they have contacted your department's local Trinity Technology Services support person to establish this account for you. TTS can also assist with setting up an email client on your computer and/or mobile device. More information online: http://it.duke.edu/get-connected/email-and-collaboration.

Obtain Duke ID Card (with building access)

Your business manager or HR rep will write a letter that you will take over to the card office to get your Duke ID. In some cases, you have been scheduled for an early Duke Orientation session where you will also be able to obtain your card. Please go to http://dukecard.duke.edu/ for additional information, including the location of the office.

Obtain Parking for Yourself and Your Visitors

Your business manager or HR rep will write a letter that you will take over to the parking office. There are several parking options available with differing price levels. Please go to http://parking.duke.edu/parking/ for additional information. Ask your business manager about your department's process for providing parking to visitors.

Obtain Lab/Office keys from facilities contact

Please work directly with your business manager for office/lab keys. In some cases, your Duke ID card will be used to swipe for entry.

Duke Orientation Scheduled (allows for benefit enrollment)

Your business manager or HR rep will schedule you for an upcoming Duke Orientation. This orientation will explain your Duke benefits such as medical, dental and vision insurance plans, retirement plan options, employee discounts, etc. Enrollment in most benefits programs needs to occur within the first 90 days of your official employment start date. Note: At a later date, you will also be invited to attend later orientation sessions that will focus more on your professional development as a Duke faculty member, including an overview of our tenure and promotion processes.

Trinity College and our departments hold additional orientations for union faculty members each semester, in accordance with the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

Confirm Start-Up Fund Code has been established

Your business manager will provide you with your start-up fund code (if you have a start-up account) and introduce you to your grant manager. Shortly after your start date, ask for a meeting with your business manager specifically to discuss your start-up commitment in detail.

Online Purchasing (Buy @ Duke) Account and User Instructions

For Regular Rank faculty, your business manager will provide you with Buy @ Duke access and user information. Please go to http://finance.duke.edu/procurement/programs/buyatduke/index.php for additional information.

Obtain Procurement Card

Your business manager will provide you with the forms necessary to obtain a Duke procurement credit card if appropriate. More information is available at http://finance.duke.edu/procurement/procure/card/index.php.

Managing Your Duke Online Faculty Profile

Scholars@Duke is a hub that brings together the research and teaching activities of all Duke faculty members. This new university-wide database is designed to encourage research collaborations and promote Duke faculty expertise to local and global communities. You can access the Scholars database at https://scholars.duke.edu/. To edit your profile, the system will require you to log on using your Duke NetID and password. Your Scholars profile will "feed" your departmental faculty profile page on the department website.

Sakai Log-On and User Instructions

Sakai is the faculty interface for managing student advisement as well as managing your personal course materials. You can access Sakai at https://sakai.duke.edu/ with your Duke NetID and password. Please go to: http://support.sakai.duke.edu/ if you require additional assistance.

Lab Space Start-Up, Identification, and Renovations

NOTE: Please contact Cathy Carter, assistant director of Trinity's Office of Facilities, at  919-660-3043 or cjc1@duke.edu before beginning work in newly renovated space or authorizing renovation work.

Every PI must complete the following before beginning work in their laboratory:

  1. Complete online Lab Safety Training
  2. Ensure undergraduate/graduate students complete Online Lab Safety Training
  3. Complete Chemical Hygiene Plan
  4. Schedule Lab Safety Audit by Occupational & Environmental Safety Office

Sign up for Duke Notifications

Duke uses several methods to keep employees informed during emergencies, including web site alert bars, outdoor warning alarms, and email among others. You are encouraged to do the following:

In addition to Duke Today (http://today.duke.edu), there are a variety of newsletters, social media tools, and news feeds to keep you up to date on the latest information and events at Duke. Review newsletter, RSS feeds and social media options here: http://today.duke.edu/subscribe.


Faculty Research Support

Proposal Development


Data Management

  • Storing Your Data: Duke’s Box (https://box.duke.edu/) is a cloud-based storage and collaboration service for all Duke University and Duke Medicine faculty, staff and students. With Box, users can access, store and share content securely with Duke and non-Duke users — anywhere, anytime, on any device. You will need to log in using your Duke NetID and password. Note - there are restrictions on storing certain types of data.

Course Development

Course Development

Advising and Student Support Services

Frequently Used Student Policies


University Administration & Faculty Governance

Trinity College of Arts & Sciences

Non-Regular Rank Union Faculty

Graduate School

Provost’s Office


Your Web Presence & Media Relations

Faculty Headshot Photo

We recommend that your departmental web page include a photograph. If you need to have a photo taken, please contact Mike Truell, director of communications, at 919-660-3270 or michael.truell@duke.edu to arrange for a shoot. If you already have a photograph that you prefer, you are good to go.

Establishing Your Departmental Web Page Profile

At Duke, you are responsible for your departmental web profile, which is an important window through which prospective students and colleagues at other institutions view your research and career advancement. We use a Duke-wide system called Scholars@duke. Once your employment as a faculty member at Duke is formalized with Human Resources, you will have a profile at Scholars@duke (https://scholars.duke.edu/). This is where you will manage your departmental web presence, including publications. To learn how to use this system, contact your departmental Power user for support. You can identify that person here: http://about.scholars.duke.edu/locate-power-user.

Finding Your News Media Support Person

The Office of News & Communications provides media relations support for faculty in Trinity College of Arts & Sciences, and provides a wide range of training to help advance your career: http://newsoffice.duke.edu/duke_resources. To identify the news writer who works your beat in the college, please visit: http://newsoffice.duke.edu/contact-us/contact-news-communications#staff.

Promoting Your Book

When you publish a scholarly book, please be sure to inform your department chair and the Office of News & Communications (dukenews@duke.edu). Duke regularly celebrates new faculty books on DukeToday (http://today.duke.edu), Trinity College features such books on the main website, and your department may also have a web presence for such work.


Frequently Asked Questions

What if I need to reserve a room?

If you need to reserve a classroom, follow the Classroom Scheduling procedure: http://admin.trinity.duke.edu/facilities/procedures/classroom-scheduling.

You should also become familiar with our Policy for Classroom & Common Space: http://admin.trinity.duke.edu/facilities/procedures/classroom-common-space.

If you need assistance or have questions, review the Room Reservations Contact listing at http://admin.trinity.duke.edu/facilities/procedures/room-reservation-con....

What if I need IT help? How do I request AV support, classroom technology assistance, printer connections, use of a conference telephone, and assistance in adding my computer to the network?

Each unit in Trinity College of Arts & Sciences has an IT support person located nearby. You can identify this person through your business manager. You can also request help in the following ways:

What if I need to reserve parking for special guests?

Talk with your department business manager about the procedures for your department or program. General information about parking at Duke is available here: http://parking.duke.edu/parking/index.php. Information specific to visitors is available here: http://parking.duke.edu/parking/visitor/index.php

What if I have need something such as light bulbs in my office, the elevator is broken, or I need something facilities related? 

Your department/program should have a trained staff person who can assist you in logging a work order with Duke’s Facilities Management Department to make repairs. Identity that person through your business manager.

How does facilities access work? What if I want to hold an after-hours event? What if I need access to locked areas after-hours?

Duke Card is your ID

Your facility access is established when you are hired. Your Duke Card with photograph is the card you swipe through the building card readers after hours when you need to enter. Please keep your Duke Card with you at all times while on campus. 

If you want to enter buildings other than your primary office location after hours, you will need to have your business manager contact Trinity Facilities (Robin Harris (919-257-0487) or Cathy Carter (919-943-8201)) to request this access well ahead of time. The request must come through your business manager--you may not directly make this request to Facilities.

Access to Classrooms

Access into a classroom after hours ( 8AM-9PM M-F when classrooms are open) is provided 24/7 to teaching faculty. This access is managed through coordination between each department/program and Trinity's Office of Facilities each August and January. Your authorized access will allow you to enter classrooms at your convenience to prepare for a class or review the technology in the room. Classrooms are unlocked after hours based on confirmed reservations through the 25LIVE reservation system. To reserve the use of a classroom log into the university reservation system, 25Live at this link -  https://25live.collegenet.com/duke/#home_my25live. You use your Duke NetID to login. There is a short training video to assist you.

Some Facilities Require Prior Certifications Before Access

Please be advised that access to restricted locations such as the Laser Lab, TUNL or FEL may require training certification before access to the facility can be granted. The department/program manager can review the required certifications with you. Trinity Facilities is required to contact the manager of the restricted spaces to confirm whether you can have access.

What Happens if I Forget My Duke Card ID?

If you forget your Duke Card ID at home, or leave it in your office and lock yourself out of your building, this is called a Lock Out. If it is after hours. you have to call Duke Police at 919-684-2224 for assistance. Please be advised that there is a charge to your department for this service and that your department may pass this charge to you.  Each department has been requested to establish and communicate a departmental lock out policy so please review this with your business manager.

Lock-outs at classroom doors should be reported to Duke Police who will confirm your reservation in the 25LIVE system. If there is a reservation, they will swipe you into the classroom. You then need to contact Robin Harris (919  257-0487)  or Cathy Carter  (919 943 8201) to correct the door schedule to keep access during the time in which you don't have your Duke Card. The take home lessons is keep your Duke Card with you!

What if you have a concern about a student?

DukeReach (https://studentaffairs.duke.edu/dukereach1) directs students, faculty, staff, parents and others to the resources available to help a student in need. Are you concerned about your physical or mental health? Has a student's behavior caused you to worry about his or her potential future actions? The DukeReach website will provide you with the resources you need to assist a student, or get the appropriate help so that someone else may do so. You can report a concern via the web,

https://duke-advocate.symplicity.com/care_report/index.php/pid006542. You can also download the DukeReach Supplemental Guide to Faculty and Staff booklet found at http://studentaffairs.duke.edu/dos/dukereach.

Reporting a Student Concern

For Emergencies, call Duke Police at 919-684-2444, or dial 9-1-1. This number will be answered by Duke Police on campus, and by Durham Police off campus. If you are concerned about a student's health or behavior, complete a DukeReach report at https://dukeadvocate.symplicity.com/care_report/index.php/pid006542, or call 919-668-3853.

Who do I contact for research or library assistance?

First, check out the Services for Faculty page on the Duke Libraries website to help you quickly hone in on people and resources. That link is: http://library.duke.edu/services/faculty

How do I recruit graduate students?

Graduate students are recruited through each departmental program. Students apply in the fall, and applications close in December/January, depending on the program. Applications are made available for review in January. From February through April, on-site interviews are conducted, offers of acceptance are disseminated, and the cycle closes with a with a final decision day of April 15th. Your department’s Director of Graduate Studies will coordinate this process and communicate with faculty and applicants. However each department does things a little differently, and new faculty should talk with their DGS in addition to faculty colleagues for recruitment tips.

How are graduate students paid?

All PhD students receive a stipend, except for the rare case of self-supporting students. Many doctoral students will also serve as a research assistant or teaching assistant, depending on the requirements and opportunities of their department. Masters students do not receive stipends but can be offered tuition scholarships and can work for pay in a research lab at an hourly rate subject to allowed hourly restrictions (19.9 h/wk during regular semesters, 40 h/wk during summer months). For more information, visit the Graduate School website at: https://gradschool.duke.edu/financial-support/how-are-graduate-students-...

How are graduate student and post doc salaries determined?

Each year Trinity confers with the Graduate School to determine the graduate student stipend level.

Postdoctoral appointments are staff appointments at Duke. The Office of Postdoctoral Studies sets the policies and procedures for this group of employees, and administers hiring. For more information, see https://postdoc.duke.edu/. Hourly rates for postdoc salaries are flexible.

Do graduate students and post docs get vacation days?


Who controls lab and office space for graduate students and post docs?

Your departmental chair.

Where can I find out about fellowship opportunities for graduate students and post docs?

Your Director of Graduate Studies (DGS).


Common Acronyms

Trinity College and University Council/Committee References

AAC: Academic Advising Center (Trinity)
AC: Academic Council (University)
ACLS: American Council of Learned Societies
APC: Academic Priorities Committee (University)
APT: Appointments, Promotion & Tenure
ARC: Academic Resource Center (Trinity)
A&S: Short hand for Trinity College of Arts & Sciences
BOT: Board of Trustees (University)
BSA: Black Student Alliance
DAA: Duke Alumni Association
DSG: Duke Student Government
EAP: Employee Assistance Program
ECAC: Executive Committee of the Academic Council (University)
FMD: Facilities Management Department
GSA: Graduate Student Affairs
GPSC: Graduate & Professional Student Council
HR: Human Resources
IDC: Imagining the Duke Curriculum Committee (Trinity)
OIE: Office of Institutional Equity
ONC: Office of News & Communications (University)
OPS: Office of Postdoctoral Services
ORS: Office of Research Support (pre-award for university side)
OSP: Office of Sponsored Programs (post award billing, etc. for both university and medical sides)
PAS: Personal Assistance Service
PCOBA: President’s Council on Black Affairs (University)
TBOV: Trinity Board of Visitors
TCA&S: Trinity College of Arts & Sciences
TDAC: Trinity Diversity Advisory Committee (Trinity)
TTS: Trinity Technology Services (Trinity)
UPC: University Priorities Committee

Department Specific References

DGS: Director of Graduate Studies
DGSA: Assistant to the Director of Graduate Studies
DUS: Director of Undergraduate Studies
DUSA: Assistant to the Director of Graduate Studies
MFA: Master of Fine Arts

Departments, Centers, Program & Facilities

AAAS: African and African American Studies
AMES: Asian & Middle Eastern Studies
AMI: Arts of the Moving Image
APSI: Asian/Pacific Studies Institute (APSI)
CCN: Center for Cognitive Neuroscience
CDS: Center for Documentary Studies
CLAC: Cultures & Languages Across the Curriculum
CLAS: Center for Late Ancient Studies
COMPASS: Collaborating on Mentoring, Persistence, Assessment & Student Success grant
CNCS: Center for Nonlinear and Complex Systems
D-CIDES: Duke Center for Interdisciplinary Decision Sciences
DH: Digital Humanities
DIBS: Duke Institute for Brain Sciences
DISC: Duke Islamic Studies Center
DUHS: Duke University Health System
DUMC: Duke University Medical Center
FHI: Franklin Humanities Institute
FSP: Forum for Scholars and Publics
HWL: Humanities Writ Large Mellon grant
ICS: International Comparative Studies
iiD: Information Initiative at Duke
IS+S: Information Science + Studies
LAMP: Language Arts & Media Program
LSRC: Levine Science Research Center
MEDREN: Medieval & Renaissance Studies
PAL: Philosophy, Arts & Literature
P&N: Psychology & Neuroscience
QI: Quantitative Initiative
RTP: Research Triangle Park
SSRI: Social Science Research Institute
TUNL: Triangle Universities Nuclear Laboratory
URS: Office of Undergraduate Research Support

Educational Systems/Terms

ACES: System for students to view their accounts, financial aid, personal data and to register for classes.
FERPA: Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act
SISS: Student Information Services & Systems
STORM: The faculty and staff self-service collection of information/functionality within the Duke student information system. Used by advisors/faculty.

Financial/Administrative System Acronyms

BFR: A number identifying financial organizations at Duke; each department has a unique BFR and several centers have them as well.
CC: Duke’s financial system’s name for a fund code or cost center (example 452 or 151)
CPPAS: Trinity’s computer purchase and replacement program
dFAC: Database for faculty appointment, tenure and leave information
DUID: Duke Unique Identification number
F&A: support for facilities & administration
FDS: Now defunct Faculty Database System, replaced by Scholars@Duke
G/L: General ledger account number
FY: Fiscal Year
MOU: Memorandum of Understanding
ORG UNIT: 8-digit number that refers to your department name
P-card: Duke’s Procurement
PI: Principal Investigator
WBS: Duke’s financial system’s name for a fund code (example, 3XX)

HR Terms

ACA: Affordable Care Act
EEO: Equal Employment Opportunity
FMLA: Family Medical Leave Act
NRR: Non-regular rank faculty typically hold short term, non-tenured instructional, research or honorary appointments
POP: Professor of the practice
RR: Regular rank faculty, which includes full time tenure track and non-tenure track faculty
TTr: Tenure track faculty