Finance & Administration
Non-Regular Rank Union Faculty Professional Development PolicyLast updated: February 7, 2019
This policy outlines how Professional Development funds will be allocated and distributed to Trinity College of Arts & Sciences (and the Graduate School) non-regular rank union faculty members.
Trinity College of Arts & Sciences (and the Graduate School) provides a Professional Development Fund for non-regular rank union faculty members in accordance with the Collective Bargaining Agreement ratified on July 28, 2017.
Professional development funds shall be used exclusively to support attendance at an academic conference or other relevant professional development activity related to teaching, scholarship, artistic or professional practice at Duke University (Article 19, Section 3 of the CBA).
Union faculty members may request professional development funds throughout the academic year. Funds will be allocated on a first come, first served basis, with no more than $1,000 allocated to any single faculty member per fiscal year. The fiscal year runs from July 1 to June 30. Professional development funds are not rolled over from one fiscal year to the next. So, for example, if a faculty member submits receipts in July for a professional development expenditure that was approved in the previous fiscal year, it will be dispersed out of current fiscal year funds and count towards the $1,000 maximum total individual allotment in the current fiscal year.
Faculty must apply and receive approval from the Office of Finance & Administration before incurring any professional development costs.
Faculty may apply for professional society membership fees each fiscal year. Funding in one fiscal year is not a commitment for membership funding in succeeding fiscal years. Funding is allocated on a first come, first served basis.
The non-regular rank union faculty Professional Development Fund is not intended for the purchase of instructional materials, supplies or books. Such requests should be directed towards the faculty member’s department and be in accordance with Article 20, Section 4 of the CBA.
- Union faculty members may submit an online application for professional development funding at any time.
- The Trinity College Office of Finance & Administration will review each application using the following criteria:
- The union faculty member has not yet used the maximum possible allocation of $1,000 of professional development funding per faculty member per fiscal year.
- Adequate professional development funds remain in the total annual Professional Development Fund to cover the requested expenses.
- The Office of Finance & Administration will notify each union faculty member regarding the status of their request within 10 working days. Communication will occur through email.
- Union faculty members must provide receipts to the Office of Finance & Administration at the completion of the professional development activity, within 30 days if personal funds are used, or within 10 days if a Duke Corporate Card is used. This will enable the Office to actively determine how much funding remains to support other union faculty member requests.